pulyn-y-aleg, Welsh castle

pulyn-y-aleg, Welsh castle

Links | The Mystery | Guestbook | Gallery | Ghosts | Home | Shop

pulyn-y-aleg, Welsh castle

pulyn-y-aleg, Welsh castleelcome to the Pulyn-y-Aleg Castle website.

"Oh, Pulyn-y-Aleg, whose battlements tower o'er the surging briny.
The gulls sad calls echo from thy walls, high and shrill and whiney "
                                                        
  - John Lillison, 1883

Share |

 

 

 

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress
 

News update:

The castle is now rated the 4th most popular attraction around Haverfordwest on "Tripadvisor"
( A special thanks to Mark Walton, our Chief Stone mason for letting us know!)

Important news update:

Unfortunately due to safety concerns and lack of funds for much-needed repairs, tours of the Castle will not be available for quite some time.

Recent samplings of the seawater in the castle's vicinity have detected extremely high levels of Dihydrogen Monoxide (now a global problem). Although the levels are not dangerous to human or animal life, it is believed to be a major contributor to the breakdown of the rock supporting the castle's foundation. You can read more about this ecological problem at the Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division website : DHMO.org

About the castle:

There is much debate surrounding the history of the castle and even the origins of the castle's name are obscure.

Local historians say the original spelling of the castle's name was pŵl yn ael ag ("dim the brow as" or "brow with a pool" - Thanks to Philip Davis at Gatehouse for inormation on tthe translation), although no-one seems to know exactly why it was named this.
Some claim the castle was built as late as 1340, however local lore has it that the Keep is built on the foundations of a Norman ruin built by Roger de Hastings after a revolt of the barons against William the Conqueror in the late 11th century.

The castle is located on private land, in a beatutiful cove on the Welsh coast. The cove is known by the locals as either Paravane or Ghmyrtle cove - depending on which local you're talking to, although you won't find either name on any map.

The local area is primarily dairy farms and fishing villages, which is reflected in the castle's coat-of-arms which depict a bull and a herring.
The trust currently has permission to take a limited number of visitors on tour there, provided it does not disclose the exact location of the site, as the lands owner wishes to maintain his privacy.
This permission has only been granted in the past two years which has resulted in the castle remaining in a good state of preservation, undamaged by tourists.
Visitors are therefore driven to the site in a windowless van. Access to the castle is via a natural sea-cave in the rock which joins a tunnel originally created as a means of supplying goods to the castle in the case of besiegement. Therefore a small boat trip is required.
Tours may need to be cancelled in the event of rough seas.

Please note, tours of the Castle have been suspended until the much-needed repairs to the walkways and safety railings have been completed.

 
 

For all enquiries, please Email: castletrust@gmail.com

 
 

 

Please sign our Guestbook

 


pulyn-y-aleg, Welsh castle  pulyn-y-aleg, Welsh castle

The "Siege Cave" from outside and looking out from inside.

pulyn-y-aleg, Welsh castle

An old plan showing the original extent of the fortifications

 
 

 

 
 


For more information on castles, visit:

 


We've had

Hits!

Click the map to see where our visitors come from:Locations of visitors to this page

Wales Index Web DirectorySearch for
Welsh Sites

Pulynyaleg Castle, United Kingdom

 

  

Links | The Mystery | Guestbook | Gallery | Ghosts | Home | Shop

pulyn-y-aleg, Welsh castle 

castle castles pulynyaleg ruins medieval dark ages middle wales history historical gothic welsh architecture gothic keep normans John Lillison knights chivalry fortifications fortress masonry heraldry hidden treasure hunting mystery haunted haunted castle